Just a quick post today as I’m still catching up from vacation (I had a blast, btw) and about to head to downtown DC for the DC United game and Soupapalooza!! Exciting stuff, I know.
China Glaze Elephant Walk is from the Fall 2012 Safari collection. I didn’t really “need” another gray, but I also never “need” a piece of tiramisu and that never stops me. So here we are. Besides, I love elephants, I would have bought this color no matter what shade. Anyways, Elephant Walk is a gray creme with a very subtle shimmer. I used 2 coats for full opacity, and the formula was excellent. I wore this on its own for 2 days without any tip wear. You can pick up China Glaze polishes at Sally Beauty, Ulta, and all over the interwebs, and they range from $4.50-$7 depending on where you buy.
After two days, I added a coat of Sally Hansen’s Glass Slipper to extend the manicure as I was quite busy. It’s a very classy flakie top coat that adds a bit of bling without going overboard. Again, work appropriate in my opinion. I love how it looks like snow flakes and will be a heavily use polish this coming winter. I picked this baby up for $3 at Walmart in February or March, and have used it multiple times since then. Definitely a diverse polish and I can’t wait to try it over a bunch of different colors.
I recently picked up Madame X at Rite Aid once it hit my local branch, and they were running a BOGO50%OFF sale. It’s been one of the colors from this line of CSMs (for Prabal Gurung’s Fall 2011 Runway Show) that I wanted since the beginning, I now have a sense of calm having acquired it. I’m really glad I did finally pick it up, because it’s taken the place of Frutti Petutie as my favorite CSM color. It’s a reddish pink and absolutely gorgeous. After a month of wearing dark colors, nudes, and some “weird” Christmasy nail art, I was ready for a pop of color. I’m currently on day 4 of wearing it, and I’m not in any hurry to take it off despite some tip wear. Here I’m wearing two coats and it’s fully opaque. The formula is great. It’s not streaky, and just the right consistency. It does dry a bit flat, and even with a coat of Seche Vite top coat, it’s not super shiny. I personally don’t mind this. Sometimes, I want a nice cream with a flatter finish and that’s what this is. I forgot how much I love the CSM brush too. A lot of people hate it, but I find it really easy to do my manicure with it, probably because I have wider nails than most. And because it’s not a flexible brush, it’s the easiest brand/line to paint my toes.
You can find Complete Salon Manicure polishes pretty much anywhere nail polish is sold, and it ranges in price from $6.50-$8. I’ve seen the Fall 2011 line at Rite Aid, Ulta, and Duane Reade.
Shocking discovery of the century, these work better when your nails a bit longer and past the tips of your fingers. You may remember with my last attempt at SEs, I was complaining about it feeling weird having the tips wrapped and the excess shoved up under my nails. Well wouldn’t you know, when your nails are a little bit longer, this issue disappears. You may also be wondering why you’re getting a picture of my left hand? It’s because I messed up my index finger nail, and just because I have to look at it does not mean that YOU have to! Much as I expected, practice makes perfect and my second time applying Salon Effects was much easier than my first. You sort of learn little tricks that work for you. Like I barely use the nail file that’s included in the set and trim excess with nail scissors. And don’t use Orly- Bonder as a base coat as it’s slightly sticky, making cuticle alignment and placement a bit tricky. For reference, I used a coat of Orly- Bonder as a base coat, and no top coat.
I absolutely LOVE the Snow Bunny pattern, so I’m really pleased I only needed to use one of the two packets of nail strips included in the box. I can either save these for next year, or wear it again a little later in the winter. I love the shiny shimmer effect of these strips. I remember, this was the pattern that seemed to be sold out everywhere, and props to Sandy for spotting a box when we were in a Target together back in October. I’ve waited THIS LONG to wear them because I wanted to save them for Christmas week! I’ve seen them around since then, so they are definitely still available. I may have to pick up another box!! I must confess though, I’ve resisted the urge to file my nails down so I could have them a bit long for this manicure. However, this has resulted in me repeatedly scratching myself this week. So I cannot wait to have my nubbins back if/when I ever take this manicure off!
What polishes do you have on your list? I have Frock Star/Misbehaved/Kitty, Kitty for Salon Effects, as well as several of the new Complete Salon Manicure colors. I gave my mom a really detailed list, and to improve my chances, sent her copies of our DEAL ALERTS posts so she’d know where to shop 🙂 I hope y’all have a great and wonderful holiday!
I’m not sure if you are like me, but I already have my routes planned out for Black Friday. Technically, I had them planned out last week. It’s not like every other week when you can walk into a store and buy what you want. You have to limber up, practice your boxing out routine, and work on your sprinting. And you have to be comfortable making some snap purchase decisions that can carry some serious financial consequences (I accidentally bought a $120 hockey sweater last year. oops.) Black Friday is serious bidness man!! So I wanted to get these deals up so you, too, can plot your routes like a shopaholic crazy person. Don’t worry, there is no judgement here. Unless you don’t go. Then we *might* judge.
ULTA (doors open at 6am)
- OPI Ulta Exclusive Deck the Halls 4-mini bottle set, $7.50. Regularly retails for $12.50.
- Ulta 4-bottle Glitterati set, $2.99, regularly $7.99.
- Certain items are 5 for $5, including Ulta nail polish, and some facial scrubs (my new obsession)
- B2G2Free, including Ulta Nail Polish
- 190 other deals available in store and online.
- Eucerin lotions: $9.99 with $4 Register Rewards. I use Eucerin as part of my hand care regimen.
- The Wet n Wild Little Luxuries nail polish mini set will be $3 w/ $2 +UP Rewards. $1 for nine minis and there are some GREAT colors in this set. Minis are fantastic for traveling.
- BOGOFREE all Borghese nail polishes and Sally Hansen Diamond Strength nail polishes. I LOVE Aisle Be There, from the new collection!!
- ALL Revlon nail enamel (no exceptions) are $2.99 with $2 +UP Rewards (limit 2). That’s $.99 a bottle!! Better yet, print the $2 off Revlon Top Speed coupon from the Video Values website and get a free bottle!!
- Sally Hansen Salon Effects will be sold in sets of 2 for $12.97. This evens out to $6.50 a box!
- Color Theory Makeup sets, which include nail polish, are on sale for $2.88 and $6.88
- The Wet n Wild Fast Dry mini set is on sale $2.88 with $2 back in Extra Bucks (limit 1). The regular price of this set is $5.99 so $0.88 for all those minis is a great deal!! Included are Saved by the Blue, Silvivor, Party of Five Glitters, and several others.
- Revlon nail color (excluding Top Speed) will be $4.99 with $4 back in Extra Bucks (Limit 6)
- 30% off your ENTIRE Purchase coupons for Thursday (11/25) and Friday (11/26) including sale items. 20% off your entire order coupon for Saturday (11.27)
- 50% off one Regular Priced Item, one for Friday, one For Saturday.
- Scrapbook Storage is 50% off. Use the 30% off coupon for additional discounts. See my review of my Melmer here.
Winterberry is one of two new colors in the Destination America collection, the other being Slate. It’s a gorgeous icy-grape purple, with a silver shimmer that isn’t really evident in these pictures. You can sort of see it in the bottle though. So far, I believe this display has only been spotted in Rite Aids. It hasn’t even hit my local RA, I had to go to the really nice one up by my parents. The formula is excellent and I only used two coats. I really think I’m getting away from the three coat rule. The same day I picked this up, I picked up Sally Hansen’s Diamond Strength Aisle Be There from their newly redesigned release. It’s this gorgeous duochrome pinkish shimmer, but here it just looks like a regular pink shimmer. It’s really pretty though, and looked great with Winterberry. Definitely pick both of these up if you can find them. Winterberry is $1.99 at Rite Aid, and Aisle Be There was $3.97 at Walmart!
I’m not sure if this is totally fair, but it’s kinda a “meh” week for nail polish deals. It seems like all the drugstores are running the same deals!! I hope this is because they are gearing up for Black Friday. I’ll be posting those deals later this week. Maybe you can resist these deals and save your pennies for next week?? Yeah, me neither. I’m going to TRY and control myself, and only get some WnW stuff at Rite Aid. In addition to their nail polish, I LOVE their eyeshadows and eye liners. Of course, I’m probably going to go back to CVS and get a couple of those Sally Hansen Gem Crush polishes too. And maybe some new Salon Effects? I mean, they are on sale…
- BOGO1/2OFF ALL Revlon Cosmetics and Beauty Tools
- 40% off all Wet n Wild cosmetics. If you spend $10, you get $3 +UP Rewards with Wellness Card.
- BOGO1/2OFF all Rimmel cosmetics
- BOGO1/2OFF all L’Oreal cosmetics
- BOGO1/2OFF all Revlon cosmetics and beauty tools; Spend $20 get $6 +UP Rewards with Wellness card.
- BOGO1/2OFF all Sally Hansen cosmetics, nail products, and hair removers. An excellent time to try out some of the new Gems Crush colors, or the new Salon Effects!!
- BOGO1/2OFF all Rimmel cosmetics. I still love their polish, even if I haven’t reviewed any recently!
- BOGO1/2OFF all Revlon cosmetics, beauty tools. The new Holiday lines are out now, and really pretty colors.
- BioOil is 25% off. Jess LOVES this stuff.
- Spend $20 on Burt’s Bees products get $5 Extra Bucks with EC Card. I saw some super cute gift sets when I was in here on Saturday. Their lemon cuticle creme is great.
Sally Beauty (Month of November)
- Free wallet ($12.99 value) when you buy any 3 Finger Paints Nail Enamels, on sale for $3.99. The FingerPaints Merry & Bright Collection has been spotted at Sallys and looks great this holiday season.
- Free CINA Holiday Nail Decals with the purchase of a CINA Nail Art Pen
- CHINA GLAZE- $1.99 Mini Bottles of Ruby Pumps, $7.99 Season Sparkles Set (includes Poinsettia, Holly-Day, and Twinkle Lights), Santa’s Little Helper Set $9.99
- ORLY- $6.99 Mini 3pk Candy Cane Tube (incl Androgynie, Ma Cherie and Oui), $9.99 Birds of a Feather Gift Set (includes FULL SIZED bottles of Lucky Duck, Sweet Peacock, and Fowl Play, IN ADDITION TO a purple wristlet with peacock feather wristlet)
- BOGO50%OFF On Revlon Cosmetics, Nail Polish, Beauty Tools, Brushes and Implements
- BOGO50%OFF On NYX Cosmetics
- B2G2FREE on ULTA Brand Cosmetics, Nail Polish, Beauty Tools, Brushes and Implements (part of Mix and Match promotion with several other items such as hand soap)
- ULTA Brand items regularly priced at $1.99-$7.00 are part of a 5for$5 mix and match.
- Currently running Free Shipping on orders over $25. I suggest using this to get the totally adorable Butter London Dressing Table set (Fairy Lights and Tart with a Heart OR Tart With A Heart and Black Knight) for $25, a $32 value.
- 20% off One Item coupon available on the website, good until 11/19 online and in store.
ULTA HOT HOLIDAY AD (Deals good from 11/12-12/2)
- Buy 2 Get a Free OPI Top/Base Coat with any OPI Purchase of $17 or more. OPI Muppets Collection is now available in store. $8.50
- B2G1FREE on all China Glaze, Orly, and Nicole by OPI nail polishes.
- Butter London Dressing Table Duo is $25. See Details above.
- Burt’s Bees Natural Manicure Set for $14.99. Includes Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream .6 oz, Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme 2.0 oz, Replenishing Lip Balm .15 oz, Buffing Emery Board, 2 Manicure Sticks and Burt’s Bees Signature Manicure Bag. Plus, a free BB Tote with any BB Purchase of $12 or more.
- Tweezerman Nail Rescue kit, $20
- Sally Hansen CSM Sets, $7.99. 4 to Choose from!
- Red Carpet Gel Manicure Starter Kit, $59.99.
- SPI Manicure Desk, $19.99 IN STORE ONLY. Includes lap desk, nail buffer and nail dryer!
- A GREAT DEAL!!! Zoya is running a People Magazine Promo, Use the code ZOYA4ME and you will automatically get FREE standard shipping on any order. IF YOU ORDER TWO OR MORE BOTTLES OF NAIL POLISH you will also receive: Free 2oz Remove Nail Polish Remover and Coupon Code* for $5 Off Your Next Zoya Order. See the fine print here. We’ve reviewed Ki and Cynthia on the site already, and I can personally vouch for Jem, Tao, Neeka, Sooki, and Edyta. Jess and I, and probably Sandy, will definitely be checking out the new FEEL Collection. Winter Neutrals FTW!!
Football is back baby!!!! I am so excited. After a lockout over the summer, and preseason, the NFL Regular Season has started. I was born and raised as a Washington Redskins fan. I’ve been around for the good years, and I’ve been around for the bad years. A LOT of bad years. Every Redskins fan starts the season with a heart full of hope and expectations for big things. That’s usually dashed by Week 8, but that’s okay. There’s always next year, right?
I was really excited to try out a new manicure in honor of the new season. I’m not really good at nail art, as we’ve seen. But that doesn’t mean I can’t try out a little glitter 🙂 I’m glad this turned out in reality as well as it looked in my head. It’s simple and shiny. And hopefully won’t be a nightmare to remove!
1 coat Orly Nail Defense
2 coats WnW Wild Shine Burgundy Frost
1 coat Sally Hansen Set The Stage
1 coat Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
First of all, I was SHOCKED at how good WnW’s Burgundy Frost is. I won’t lie to you. I wasn’t expecting greatness for $.99. But never again will I judge a polish by its price tag!! It goes on smooth, streak free, and is fully opaque in 2 coats. I prooooooooobably could have gotten away with 1 coat, but I needed a deep burgundy for this mani. Burgundy Frost isn’t a color I’d normally wear on a regular day, but I may give this a chance.
Set The Stage is a great glitter, if a little hard to control. It’s a gold hex glitter, with gold micro glitter, in a clear base. Perfect for this purpose. It’s definitely not Redskins gold. But this mani is my interpretation and literalism is so boring. I picked up the last bottle at my Target, and I haven’t seen it around at any of my frequented drug stores. Its part of the Fall 2011 line, so there’s still time to grab it!
I’d like to apologize for my clean up by the way. I was working with non-acetone remover because that’s what my mother had in the house, and I forgot to pack my acetone for my house sitting adventures.
So, as I believe I’ve mentioned on here, I’m a pretty big soccer fan. Like, you might call it obsessive. I’ve taken 12 hour bus rides to Boston for an overnight trip to see the USA play, and I’m taking a bus up and back to Philly for the DC United match at the end of the month (I’ve got a mani idea for that, to be on the lookout!). Last month, the American Outlaws: DC Chapter took a bus trip to Philly to watch the USA play Mexico in a “friendly.” I wasn’t about to miss the opportunity to hang out with my peeps and watch my boys take on our rivals. And naturally, this was a perfect opportunity to try out some nail art! I think it turned out alright for a first attempt, but there are a few things I would change next time. First, I would definitely put the stars and blue on the thumb. And I’d use a different nail pen. The Sally Hansen one I used wasn’t very good. Overall, though, I like how it turned out. And it got a lot of compliments. I can’t wait for another game to perfect my technique.
Hit the jump for the colors I used, and the step by step tutorial!
This will be a short post. True Blood’s about to start. I’m sure you understand.
Having had excellent experiences with Mattese Elite and Color Club crackles, I really wanted to try Sally Hansen. I love their polishes and figured I’d love their crackles as well. And I really wanted to try a silver over the pink mani that needed some updating, so I went to my Walgreens and I bought it. This is pretty much how all of my purchases happen. I impulse shop. But I digress.
1 coat Orly Nail Defense
3 coats Mattese Elite Goomah Comare
1 coat SH Fractured Foil
1 coat Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
If I’m being perfectly honest, I’m not sure if I like this or not. Like with all crackles, you have to get used to the formula, so I’m sure that’s part of the issue. But this didn’t really crackle too well. It’s so thin that it really looks like I just put a coat of silver shimmer over my base color. I think this is one of those crackles that requires a thicker coat just because of it’s metallic shimmer. I also think it needs to be done over a darker color, like a purple, or black. I do actually like the effect, but it’s not the intended effect so that’s why I’m not oohing and ahhhing over this particular crackle.
On an unrelated not, I really can’t wait until that cut on the side of my middle finger heals. It’s really unattractive.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND we’re back to regularly scheduled posting!! And I’m starting out with some sparkle. I’ve had Twinkle Twinkle for a few weeks now, and it’s a color I tried out during my Lake House Swatchathon last weekend. It’s part of their limited edition Fall 2011 line, so get it quick!! I picked it up at Target, but I’ve seen it at Walgreens too. And it’s a pretty decent glitter at $2.99 (I got it on sale for $2.04).
1 coat WnW Clear
3 coats of Sinful Colors Amethyst
1 coat SH Twinkle Twinkle.
This is probably one of my favorite glitters I own. Mostly because it’s dense enough that one coat gives you plenty of sparkle! It’s a silvery….blurple hex glitter, with silver microglitter and a clear base. Clear bases in glitter polishes are my best friend because you can layer them over everything. That doesn’t me you should, but you can. I try to layer over a base complimentary base color, which is why I layered over Amethyst while swatching. Hit the jump for more pics!