Category Archives: Revlon
This is one of several colors I purchased this weekend. I have seen many swatches of this color and thought it would be a nice neutral to add to my collection. Like I don’t have enough of those. But I had a coupon and that makes all the difference! It can be springy, or wintery and seems like it would be a nice base for the rare adventure into nail art. I’m transitioning into fall colors but I’m not quite ready to go into dark colors full time yet. I like Provence. Formula was decent at two coats, but its a bit runny. It’s nice, not loud, but has just enough purple in it that it doesn’t look mannequin handsy. But I was in the mood for a little something extra.
I made a pact with myself that I wouldn’t buy anymore polishes (after Wednesday when ULTA is doing their Butter London BOGOFREE deal that is) until I worked my way through some of my untrieds. As I was digging around in my stash, I found Wet N Wild’s Speak When Spoken To. CAN YOU BELIEVE I ALMOST PURGED THIS IN MAY WITHOUT TRYING IT?!? I told Jess that and she nearly killed me. It turned out to be just the right touch for a couple of accent nails. If I hadn’t spent any hour removing my previous manicure due to staining and glitter, and wasn’t planning to take this off tomorrow so I can do a USA themed manicure for Tuesday, I may have done all ten fingers in this glitter. It’s so subtle I don’t feel weird about wearing this into the office at all.
Revlon ranges from $4.99-$7.99 depending in where your buy it. Wet N Wild Color Icon glitter were $3.99 when they were released as a limited edition. You can still find the random one in stores, I picked mine up for $1.49 on clearance at Rite Aid.
Cross posted to my personal blog, Made In The 80s!
So, I wouldn’t exactly call Valentine’s Day my favorite holiday, but we all know I love any excuse to do some nail art. I also happened to score the very appropriately named Revlon – Lovestruck (appropriately named for both the color and the holiday!) when Mel and I went to the Cosmetics Market during her visit to NYC. It’s such a dusty gorgeous color, subtle but amazing. The shimmer in it along with how well it complimented my skintone made me really really happy.
The nail art really popped on it too since it was a nice muted color. I will say however that hearts are not my nail art bff. I think I’m just too much of a perfectionist about them. (Actually, thinking about it, I’m that way with drawing them too… maybe I’m just ocd about hearts. Add that to my list of idiosyncrasies haha.) But over all I really loved how this turned out 🙂 I see me getting a lot of use out of this color, so I may have to go back and grab a back up.
Hope everyone has a great day, and don’t forget chocolate goes on sale tomorrow 😉
When Starry Pink was first released, I think all three of us were excited. Then we put it on and were all a little mehhh. Mel did the first write up, here, and we both wondered if using it as a top layer over something else would make it more user friendly.
Well, the answer to that is yes, at least when it comes to formula. I layered it over two coats of Sinful Colors – Easy Going and it worked much better as a top coat. The glitter was easier to maneuver and it made it a normal thickness on my nail instead of the 3-4 coats of goopy thickness it was on it’s own. However, still not sold on the color. The shade is just nqr on my skintone. Since it’s original release, it’s been renamed as Popular and is out in the new Revlon displays that include all sorts of other goodies like Whimsical, Stunning and Naughty. All colors the Clique LOVESSSS.
To jazz it up a little, and because I felt like smelling minty fresh all day, I did an accent nail with Color Club – Orna-Minted. Loved the pop it gave to my ring finger and how it brought out the silver on my other nails too! I loovveeeee the smell of Orna-Minted. It’s a perfect mint smell, and a perfectly proportioned smell. It’s not over powering like some scented nail polishes I’ve tried, and it doesn’t fade super fast either. Lasted through my whole work day 🙂 Also, added relatively scientific bonus? Spearmint is an aphrodisiac, and this def has some spearmint scent mixed in 😉 I didn’t get to use that particular bonus, but hey, maybe one of you will get the chance to haha.
Yesterday I shared Naughty, so today I wanted to share Fashionista. It’s one of the ones I wanted IMMEDIATELY upon seeing the display on Nouveau Cheap, and actually carried around the store for about 20 minutes before putting it back the first time I saw it. But I picked it up at Walgreens this past week when I went in to pick up the Lord of the Rings Pez dispenser set (which, btdubs, was the highest grossing item at my office’s blind auction to raise money for an adopted Veteran family!! But I digress.)
1 Orly Bonder
2 coats Revlon Fashionista
1 coat Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
Fashionista is a deep, dark teal creme. I’m in love, despite this not being my best manicure ever. It’s dark enough to go with my pale skin tone, but not so dark it looks gothic. 2 coats are needed for full opacity, but only because there is a bit of brush stroke towards the tip of the nail on the first coat. I put a coat of Whimsical over it 1) because I wanted to show y’all what it looked like over a darker color and b) I was so flippin’ excited to use Whimsical now that it was mine!! I’m going back and forth on whether I like the combo (LOVE Whimsical itself). I think the color combo is gorgeous, but due to the cloudy nature of Whimsical, the unevenness of one coat is really apparent over a darker color. And I can’t help but stare at it, in a bad way. Perhaps I will try again with two coats, but I feel like this is a layering glitter, and you should only need one coat for it to look nice. So as of right now, I’m leaning towards using it only over lighter colors.
Fashionista can be found at Walgreens and Kmart for $4.99, or at Bed Bath & Beyonds that sell makeup for ~$3.79.
By now you’ve probably heard/seen/read that Revlon is re-releasing a bunch of polishes under new names. These include older polishes, as well as recent releases such as Facets of Fuchsia (Now Scandalous). I have those, and am not enough of a hoarder to buy them again under new names. HOWEVER, some of the other colors are amazing. Revlon is quickly becoming one of my favorite brands with some of the stuff they’ve put out this year.
Here we have Naughty, a rerelease of Perplex, which was a dupe/near dupe of Chanel’s Paradoxal. Whew! It’s a gorgeous greyish/taupey purple that has an amazing shimmer when they light hits it just so.
1 coat Orly Bonder
3 coats Revlon- Naughty
1 coat Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
The formula is a dream, and you can get away with 2 thick coats or use 3 thin coats for full opacity. There is zero dragging or streaking, and it dries quickly enough that 3 coats isn’t a massive inconvenience. How is Revlon SO. GOOD. at making dupes of these high-end brands?!? As a homeowner, who has a car payment/student loans/credit card payments AND a nail polish habit to fund, it’s nice to have access to cheaper dupes of coveted polishes. I consider Naughty a “classy” polish, one that is subtle, suitable for all occasions. I’m currently getting away with wearing copious amounts of glitter under the “but it’s festive!” rule, but it’s not something I can do all the time. This polish lets me feel sparkly while still maintaining a professional appearance. Plus it’s just really pretty. It’s been getting a lot of wear on my toes recently.
I picked up my bottle of Naughty at Walgreens, for $4.99. But it’s also available in the display that’s popping up at Bed, Bath & Beyond ($3.79) and K-Mart ($4.99), with Stunning and Whimsical. This isn’t one of the harder colors to find, so snatch it up before some other smart chick does!!!
1 coat Seche Rebuild (base)
2 coats OPI – Planks A Lot
2 coats Revlon – Whimsical
1 coat Essie – Good to Go! (top)
Revlon definitely wins brand of the year for this one. Those of you that know me know that my biggest lemming of all time is Deborah Lippmann’s Glitter in the Air. There’s something about that cotton candy-like light blue and pink hex glitter (with blue and silver micro glitter) floating in milky blue base that makes me drool. I could look at swatches of it alllll day. What doesn’t make me drool is the cost of one Deborah Lippmann polish ($18-$20). I know they’re worth it, but I was waiting for a sale to happen (ANYTHING) and it just wasn’t going happening in my area. When I first heard about Whimsical being a GiTA dupe, I knew this had to be mine!!
More, more, more under the cut…
3 days ago, Twitter went a flutter as several people tweeted about having found Whimsical, the new Deborah Lippmann Glitter In The Air dupe by Revlon. I took to the interwebs to see if this was a random one-off polish, or if it was part of a larger line. Well, it has a sister polish, Stunning. I added both to my list, and went off to the one convenient Bed Bath and Beyond that carries nail polish. I spent a good 20 minutes digging through all the nail polish displays, and was 50% successful. But perhaps this was the better half to find immediately? Everyone else is going gaga over Whimsical (which I DEFINITELY want) but no one has really mentioned Stunning. And Stunning it is 🙂
1 coat Orly Bonder
3 coats Essie- Real Simple
1 coat Revlon- Stunning
1 coat Seche Top Coat
Stunning is a multi-colored micro and hex holo glitter in a clear base. To the naked eye, in the bottle, you can’t really tell it’s multi-colored. It just appears silver with a hint of black. When the light hits it though, its sooooo pretty. It’s also really subtle, so I’m wearing this one to the office tomorrow. Coverage is good, and glitter placement is effortless. It’s possible this is my new favorite glitter. I can’t wait to try it over some other colors, such as blue and purple. I was already wearing Real Simple. And it’s one of those days where I kept falling asleep if I sat down for more than 10 minutes. But I got lucky and I think it looks great! Definitely a girlier holiday manicure. You can pick up Stunning and Whimsical at Bed Bath and Beyond for $3.79. Read the rest of this entry
- Essie Cocktail Bling Collection now on sale.
- Buy ANY 2 Revlon cosmetics or Beauty Tools, get $6 EC Bucks w/ EC Card. Limit 1 per household w/ card. Includes nail polish.
- REVLON TOP SPEED Nail Polish, on sale for. $3.99, get $3 Register Rewards. Limit one per printed offer.
- Essie Luxeffects should now be in store, $8.
- Not Nail Polish Related, but $1 off coupon for EcoTools Brushes/Set. These are my fave drugstore brushes.
- Jingle Cash Starts!!! (See image for details)
- Sally Hansen Nail Glam Party Pack, pay $9.99, get $3 in +UP Rewards w/ card.
- Wet n Wild Little Luxuries set (9 minis), pay $4.99, get $2 in +UP Rewards w/ card.
- BOGO50%OFF Nail Enamel, choose from Sally Hansen, Crackle, LA Girl Crackle, CG, Chameleon, Petites or Color Fevers. Possibly Sinful Colors since the picture is shown, but brand not listed. That’s irritating.
- Jesse’s Girl and Styli Style Cosmetics BOGO50%OFF, and get $2 +UP Rewards when you buy $10 worth of JG or SS products.
- ALL Revlon cosmetics or Beauty Tools are BOGO50%OFF.
- B2G1FREE on Orly and China Glaze Nail Enamel. CG Eye Candy and Orly Mineral FX lines now in store.
- Butter London Nail Polish in Yummy Mummy and Powder Room Polish Remover set, $15 (a $19 value).
- Butter London Holiday Glitter Trio, $36 ($42 value)
- OPI Holiday Dynamic Duos $14.95. Includes a polish and matching lip gloss.
- OPI Glamour Duos, $14.95. Two full size polishes and a set of toe separators.
- Buy 2 OPI polishes, get a free base or top coat.
- OPI Best of the Best 10pc mini packs (2), $24.95 each.
- Ulta Paint the Town or Glitterati 4pk Mini-polish sets, $4.99 each.
- Ulta Lust in Lace 5pc mini pack, $9.95 (LOOKS GORGEOUS)
- Ulta Brand cosmetics/nail polish BOGOFREE, PLUS FREE GIFT
Sally Beauty Supply
- Free Wallet with Purchase of any 3 Finger Paints nail enamels
- China Glaze nail enamel, 2/$10 (excludes crackle, metallic crackle, and Eye Candy)
- Stripe Rite Paint, $2.99
- $.99 Sally Girl Holiday Collection
- $1.99 Mini Bottle of China Glaze Ruby Pumps
- $7.99 for Beauty Secrets hard case 5pc manicure set.
- $9.99 Orly Sets, 3 FULL SIZE bottle of polish, and either a purple suede wristlet (Birds of a Feather Set) OR a pair of mittens.
- $9.99 China Glaze Holiday Spirits set, 3 shades and a wine stopper.
- $7.99 China Glaze gift sets
- $9.99 As Seen On TV Nail Stamping set
- Nicole by OPI Nail Color or Texture, $6.50
- BOGO50%OFF Sally Hansen Nail Enamel with Wellness+ card
- Revlon Cosmetics and Beauty tools BOGO50%OFF with wellness+ card. (Excludes Top Speed Nail Enamel)
- Rimmel Cosmetics BOGO50%OFF with Wellness+ card.
- BOGO50%OFF ALL Revlon Cosmetics with EC Card. (Limit 6)
- “Salon Nail Color or Treatment starting at $5.95” are eligible for the Buy $30 in specially marked products, receive a $10 gift card promotion. A good time to stock up AND get Christmas shopping done?
- BOGO50%OFF ALL Rimmel Cosmetic. In addition to their Lasting Finish Pro line, I’ve become a HUGE fan of their Moisture Renew Lip Gloss.
- $3 off any $10 Hand or Body Lotion purchase.
- ALL Wet n Wild products w/ regular retail price $0.99 are on sale for $0.69 each through Wednesday, 11/30.
- $3.50 off $10 purchase. Coupon available.
- Free Shipping of orders of $25 or more.
- Cyber Monday Deals– including 3pk Butter London sets for $36.
- $9.99 Sally Hansen CSM 3pk gift sets, and NOPI ICYCOLOR 4pk mini- set
- $9.99 Ulta Pink Beauty Tool Set.
- Buy 2 bottles of OPI polish, Get a Free Base Coat or Top Coat, an $8.50 value!
- All Revlon Cosmetics BOGO50%OFF
- Get $5 Ulta Cash for Every $20 you spend 11/27-12/3, REDEEM $5 in Ulta Cash for every $20 you spend 12/4-12/10
- Scrapbook Storage (melmers) are 40% off. There is also a coupon for 50% off one Regular Priced Item. Get two!! You’ll need it.